A healthy lifestyle is crucial for maintaining optimal health and reducing the risk of various health conditions, including heart disease and heart attacks. Three critical factors contributing to heart health are blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and blood sugar control.
Here are five healthy living habits you can adopt to manage these factors and minimize the risk of heart-related complications:
Eat a Healthy Diet
- Choosing healthy meals and snacks can help you avoid heart disease and its complications. Be sure to eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and fewer processed foods. Eating foods low in saturated fats, trans fat, and cholesterol and high in fiber can help prevent high cholesterol. Limiting salt in your diet also can lower your blood pressure, whereas limiting sugar can reduce your blood sugar level to prevent or help control diabetes.
Maintain a Healthy Weight
- Being overweight or obese increases your risk for heart disease. To determine if your weight is in a healthy range, doctors often calculate your body mass index (BMI). Doctors sometimes also use waist and hip measurements to calculate excess body fat. They may use special equipment to calculate excess body fat and hydration status.
Engage in Physical Activities
- Physical activity can help you maintain a healthy weight and lower your blood pressure, cholesterol, and sugar levels. Two hours of moderate-intensity exercise, like brisk walking or bicycling, is recommended for adults. Children and adolescents should get one hour of physical activity daily.
- Cigarette smoking significantly increases your risk for heart disease. If you don’t smoke, don’t start. If you do smoke, quitting will lower your risk for heart disease.
Limit Alcohol Intake
- Avoid drinking too much alcohol. Alcohol has been found to reduce the risk of heart disease. It is recommended that men should have no more than two drinks per day and women only one.
Have your BMI checked today and determine your risk for heart disease so you can adjust your lifestyle as needed. Learn how Maxicare can help protect your health through comprehensive coverage for outpatient treatment, including consultations, lab tests, diagnostic procedures, and more. Contact us today for more information and find a plan that meets your healthcare needs.