Energize your life! Who said physical activity is all work and no play? In fact, it can be just the opposite! There is no need to think of strenuous workouts that are painful and boring. Instead, imagine doing fun physical activities you enjoy and look forward to. Do the physical activity for enjoyment, and watch the health benefits follow.
The Importance of Physical Activity
People of all ages who are generally inactive can improve their health and well-being by regularly becoming active at a moderate intensity. Regular physical activity substantially reduces the risk of dying of coronary heart disease and lowers the risk of stroke, colon cancer, diabetes, and high blood pressure.
Moreover, physical activity need not be strenuous; people of all ages benefit from regular, moderate-intensity physical activity, such as 30 minutes of brisk walking five or more times a week.
Why should I be active?
Regular physical activity can help:
- reduce the risk of stroke and developing high blood pressure
- achieve and maintain a healthy body weight
- promote psychological well-being and reduces feelings of stress
- build and maintain healthy bones, muscles, and joints
Who can benefit from regular physical activity?
- Parents and children: Families can plan outings and events that promote physical activity, allowing everyone to be engaged in a physically active lifestyle.
- Teenagers: Regular physical activity improves strength, and builds lean muscle and stronger bones while decreasing body fat.
- People trying to manage their weight: Regular physical activity is a vital component of their weight-loss journey, as it helps burn calories while preserving lean muscle mass
- People with high blood pressure: Regular physical activity helps lower blood pressure.
- People with physical disabilities, including arthritis: Regular physical activity can help people with chronic, disabling conditions improve their stamina and muscle strength. It can also enhance psychological well-being and quality of life by increasing the ability to perform daily activities.
- Everyone under stress, including persons experiencing anxiety or depression: Regular physical activity improves one’s mood, helps relieve depression, and increases feelings of well-being.
Talk to your doctor about what types and amounts of physical activity are appropriate for your condition. If you have a chronic disease and have not already done so, talk to your doctor before beginning a new physical activity program. Learn how Maxicare can help protect your health through comprehensive coverage for outpatient treatment, including consultations, lab tests, diagnostic procedures, and more. Contact us today for more information and find a plan that meets your healthcare needs.